• For most of human history, scientists believed that meteors did not exist. The idea that rocks could drop out of the sky seemed absurd. President Thomas Jefferson once denounced Yale University when one of its professors claimed to have seen a meteor fall.
•Typewriter is the longest word that can be made using only the letters on the top row of the keyboard.
•The Earth is hit by lightning 100 times a second.
•Monday is the only day of the week that has an anagram: dynamo
•You can’t kill yourself by holding your breath.
•Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least 6 feet away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush.
•Polar bears are left handed.
•The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley’s gum.
• In 1906, the horse-drawn traffic in New York City moved along at an average speed of 11.5 miles per hour. In 1978, a survey showed automobile traffic in New York City averaged only 7.9 miles per hour.
• The average human will eat one pound of insects in their lifetime.
• Detroit has more ‘registered’ bowlers than any other American city.
• In George Washington’s days, there were no cameras. One’s image was either sculpted or painted. Some paintings of George Washington showed him standing behind a desk with one arm behind his back while others showed both legs and both arms. Prices charged by painters were not based on how many people were to be painted, but by how many limbs were to be painted Arms and legs are limbs, therefore painting them would cost the buyer more. Hence the expression, “Alright, but it’ll cost you an arm and a leg.”
• In the 1700’s many women and men had developed acne scars by adulthood. The women would spread bee’s wax over their facial skin to smooth out the complexions. When they were speaking to each other, if a woman began to stare at another woman’s face she was told to “mind your own bee’s wax .” *bonus LNF* Should the woman smile, the wax would crack; hence the term “Crack a smile.”
•SUV drivers are twice as likely to talk on a cellphone as drivers of other kinds of cars.
•75% of stage and screen actors do not use their real names.
•The origin of the term bridal shower comes from English brides who used to buy “bride ale” for their wedding guests.
• A “jiffy” is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.
• Almonds are a member of the peach family.
• A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.
• A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.
• Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.
• Israeli postage stamps are certified kosher.
•The ball on top of a flagpole is called a “truck.”
•The first chalkboard was used in school in 1714.
*Why LNF? Why Plain White Shirt? Read Rorschach’s Ribs and all will be understood.
Tags: ale, beer, bridal shower, bride, dynamo, escher smallwater, facts, insects, jefferson, little known facts, lnf, marcus eder, meteors, Phil Callaway, polar bears, poop, Rorschach's Ribs, SUV, toothbrush